Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsPersonal electronics banned from classrooms in the fall

Personal electronics banned from classrooms in the fall

Come September, students across the province will no longer be able to use their mobile devices during class time.

On Monday, the province announced personal electronics will be banned from classrooms during class time. The ban on personal electronic devices will be implemented in kindergarten to grade 12 classrooms and limit access to social media. Minister of Education Demetrios Nicolaides says the changes stem from the concern provincial leaders have heard all around about the impact that phones have in classrooms.

“We’re taking a measured approach to protect students by restricting the use of personal mobile devices during instructional time to reduce distractions and bullying, maximize learning time and support student mental health,” Nicolaides says.

Alberta Teachers Association president Jason Shilling says the association is happy to see this announcement and the focus on keeping students focused on their studies.

- Advertisement -

“Teachers and school leaders look forward to having the support of government and school boards as they implement this new policy,” Schilling says.

Over the summer, school divisions across the province will need to develop policies with the exceptions of how these schools will manage and the consequences for non-compliance.

Locally Lethbridge Public School Division officials have released a statement saying that the division has promoted the responsible use of technology in schools and recognizes how using personal mobile devices and social media is important to keep in mind as students become “responsible citizens in an increasingly digital world.”

Board Chair Allison Purcell says the division is pleased to see minimum standards be set by the province for schools and looks forward to examining the local division’s policies and procedures.

- Advertisement -

“Through a variety of engagement opportunities, most notably the Division’s annual Town Hall event, the Division has heard loud and clear that cell phones and personal devices in the classroom have been an issue,” Purcell says.

Superintendent of Schools for the Holy Spirit School Division Ken Sampson adds for some time now the division has required all students to understand and sign digital citizenship and acceptable use agreements.

“We will take the coming months to fully understand the implications of the ministerial order to ensure a solid implementation plan is created and shared. Interestingly, many of our schools are already using guidelines very much aligned with what the minister shared,” says Sampson.

Students who use their devices for medical or educational reasons will be exempt from the from the ban.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading